Monday, August 29, 2005

I e-mailed Mike Norton my post from Saturday and heard back from him this morning. He did indeed give me the intended message of his billboard:


While I appreciate your concern about the financial cost of the war in Iraq, I think you are missing the point of our display. This message is to make sure that we never forget the tragedies of that fateful day, and all of the innocent lives that were taken in 3 separate acts of terrorism. It is unfortunate that so many people seem to have forgotten what horrors terrorists, if allowed to plan and coordinate, can impose on us. It can be argued that we did not pick this war. This war picked us. I agree that the war is costly, both financially and more importantly, in terms of lives lost. It is probable, however, that the costs would be exponentially higher if we buried our heads in the sand and assured ourselves that this could never happen again.

Sincerely,
Mike Norton


I commend Mr Norton for his desire to provide a public service at his expense. Altough I don't agree with his preception that people have forgotten the horror and tradegy of 9/11, I don't fault him for reminding people. What troubles me is the connection between 9/11 and the war in Iraq. Undoubtedly the attack we experienced on 9/11 demanded an immediate and forceful response from our leaders. I believe the Taliban who were harboring Bin Laden and refused to turn him over got what was comming to them. To use 9/11 to justify the war in Iraq is insane. Perhaps Mr. Norton could find a local billboard to provide a public service informing us that there is no connection between 9/11 and Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home